CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, July 27, 2009

Andie's Take on the Twilight Movie and Books

I will admit that I jumped on the Twilight bandwagon a little late. Fortunately for me, I did it the smart way...by reading the books before seeing the Twilight movie. Let me explain, for you non-Twihards out there, why it seems lame if you have seen the trailers.

THE TWILIGHT MOVIE
I will be the first to admit, though I would love to make Rob Pattinson my bitch, that I am not the biggest fan of the movie. For those who have not read the books, it was probably an even worse cinematic experience for you. The scenes seem to be almost pieced together. So for a first timer...it can be confusing. The handsome brooding guy that glares at the new girl in disgust, awkwardly tries to befriend her, scares the shit out of her in a forest, and BAM! Suddenly they are in love and there is a vampire fight scene. Essentially the first book was based on the love story element...doesn't make for a great vampire flick. So I think the direction they went in was to skip to the action and try to draw in a new audience. Result: definitely a tween geared movie. I honestly believe that the next movie 'New Moon' coming out this November will be much better, though still not comparable to the books. And please, don't get me started on the acting...because I think that a better job could have been done...

THE TWILIGHT SAGA
On to the books. First, let me start by saying that one of my favorite things about this series is that the author writes her character Bella in first person. Very rare for a fictional character, but done in a way that allows you to better connect with the feelings and emotions of the character.

'Twilight' essentially introduces you to the characters, where they come from, and the differences between them. For the most part it is the story of how Bella [the plain girl] and Edward [the century old Vampire] fall in love after struggling to keep their distance from one another, because they know that they are different and a relationship would be a huge struggle to make work....without one or both of them dissapearing. There are plenty of vampire type things in this book, a great vampire baseball scene [which was actually played well in the movie], and yes, the fight scene. But still, more or less a love story. By this point I was already loving the characters and their depth, and was already hooked.

From here, the next three books [New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn] are completely action packed with heartbreak, suspense, new friendships, good vampires, bad vampires, insane fight scenes, a total shocker, and so on. I can't even begin to explain without giving it all away, because I'd end up rambling on about every amazing scene that comes to mind. Yes, this series is geared towards a teenage audience. But it is not just a vampire love story, it is so much more than that. The characters are written so well that you literally can relate to their feelings. Not to mention the author debunks so many of the traditional vampire myths...sleeping in coffins, frying to death in the sunlight, etc.

This is one of those collections, that once you've read them, had such an affect onyou, that you will immediately find yourself re-reading the series.

Ultimately, I think the movies will get better, as the books did in succession. But I cannot preach enough, that you are missing so much if you did not read the books. And I strongly suggest that even if you've seen the movie, you read the first book. A lot of things were not included in the movie, that are going to lead into major parts of the NEXT movie.

/nerd mode

2 comments:

Shimmerpixy said...

um...yeah...whatever you just said. I hated the way the last one ended though. It hyped you up just to let you down. It's like when you are about to bed a totally hot guy and then he unveils his two cm dick.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you on the movie not being as good. I had read the book first and the way they did I did not think was the best choice it could have been done so much better. Especially the "Spider Monkey" name calling part!